View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 09, 2003, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by PeteBooth
Originally posted by Jay R

Hi guys.

First time on the baseball forum. I am a basketball ref who is considering umpiring this year. I've got the bug.

What type of equipment do I need when starting out? For example, are umpires pads and chest protector the same as the ones worn by catchers? Are plate shoes a necessity?
I get the feeling that it might take my first year to recuperate my start up cost. Any comments appreciated.

What type of ball are you calling? If you are calling ball for kids who do not shave, IMO you don't need plate shoes right off the bat.

If you visit any of the equipment sites, ie; Gerry Davis Konigs, +POS, etc. they each have a starter kit with the basics that should get you started, that's what I did.

For example; from the Gerry Davis Catalog - Starter Kit section. Here's what you get for $299.90

Gerry Davis Mask (Black or Navy)
Davis Chest Protector
Davis Lite Protect-Shin Guards
GD-12 Convertible Shoes
Umpire Pants (Combo or plate or base)
Cliff Keen Shirt (Navy or powder or red) - Check with your association
Umpire Socks
Indicator
Plate Brush (wood or plastic)
10" Ball Bag w/o pockets (navy or gray)
New Era Umpire Cap (Combo or base)

IMO not a bad package for $299 and that should get you started. Once you start getting some funds, then updrade.

Since you already officiate basketball and if you are going to call ball for kids who shave perhaps you have the "bucks" for the better equipment already.

Pete Booth

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~
I would reccommend at least a steel toe shoe. I got a broken big toe from a 10 year olds uncuaght pitch 6 years ago wearing my base shoes......