View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 09, 2003, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

I thought the way our association handled the NF exam was a joke and I told the commissioner so.
We gave part I as a closed book, no talking test at a meeting. Officials were required to score a 74 or above to officiate varsity games. If you missed this test date, you could take the make-up which was part II given a couple of weeks later or on an individual basis.
Also, the association by-laws state that an official must score a 90 or above in order to work post-season games.
Other than using part I, which was available with answers on the internet before the test date, this was okay.
Then things went downhill. It was discovered that only about 10 officials scored over 90 and 3 of them had less than 2 years of seniority with the association. So here is how the board handled it. They gave out part II to everyone at the next meeting and said it was a take home test and that if you didn't score above 90 on the first one and wanted to work post-season you had to fill this one out and hand it in to a board member later in the season. Yikes! So the people who failed the test the first time would now be working post-season. This was so obviously a political move to allow many veteran officials to continue to work post-season. Also, the association board refused to publish a list of all members original test scores.
But to top it off, the board went and changed the by-laws at the last meeting of the season. One of those changes was dropping the requirement that officials score a 90 to work post-season. There is now no requirement at all (other than being chosen by the commissioner).
In short the NF exam is now meaningless in Nevada.