View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 27, 2012, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I don't buy this as a "requirement". This paragraph is offered as one of many examples of what could be interference on the runner. And the quantifier is that there must be a chance for the fielder to make a play.
It is an example that specifies what constitutes INT when there is physical contact between runner and fielder, ending in "and was prevented from doing so." I would consider it a requirement. The other examples deal with specifics of other runner violations.

Quote:
See above. In my judgment, if I believed the fielder was interfered with, that is what I will call.
The coach may then ask for you to support it in the rule book if the play were made.

Quote:
In your play, maybe F6 does make the catch, but maybe the catch could have been more routine had their not been INT. But maybe she doesn't make the catch, but ends up trying to turn a deuce, but throws the ball into the stands and the BR is OBS by F3, and R1 plows over an unsuspecting F5 and is then picked up by the 3B coach and pushed towards home while F9 just went into labor and is down in RCF........
There are rules covering that as well

Quote:
Like to admit it or not, there are umpires working all levels of ball that are somewhat clueless and misapply some of the simplest rules in the book.
No argument here.

Quote:
My vote goes for the ruling to remain an immediate dead ball.
Fair enough. Perhaps some re-wording of the rule would make that more supportable.