View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 27, 2012, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreamump View Post
...Realisticly thinking that a K is always over the dish is hard to fathom.
What rule set (or sets) do you call? I'm really curious, because I've never heard of a strike zone that moved back and forth with the batter.

ASA, Rule 1 Strike Zone: That space over any part of home plate, when a batter assumes a natural batting stance adjacent to home plate, between the batter's:
A. (fast Pitch) Arm pits and the top of the knees.
B. (Slow Pitch) Back shoulder and the front knee.

All an umpire has to do is read the rule book and apply the rules as written using one's own judgement. In the OP, the batter is standing deep in the box. This does not change the Strike Zone as defined in the rules. The horizontal piece of the strike zone is still the space over any part of home plate. The vertical piece of the strike zone is still determined by the batter's arm pits and the top of the knee when the batter is standing next to home plate (fast pitch, as stated in OP).

From the OP, if a pitch crosses the plate within the parameters defined by the rule when the batter is deep in the BB, but then crosses the space behind the plate and in front of the batter below the batter's knee, I have a strike.