View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 06:30pm
I hate Illinois Nazis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump View Post
I would love to discuss this but it is time for me to disappear from this thread.

I agree with you. But how often would a batter fail to touch 1st base after putting a ground ball in play? That is the crux of my argument.

The BR is suppose to run to first and touch it, safe or out. Someone says he doesn't have to do it. He can give up after the 3rd out is made.

I say it is F5 who doesn't have to throw to 1B after applying the tag. The run would score if he did not make the throw. But he made the throw and the BR failed to legally obtain 1B. What is the ruling then?

Now if there were a case play available such as one posted on this thread, I would love to continue that argument. But all I read is about rule 7.10d. Nothing else here. 7.10d does not apply to a batter who fails to touch 1B. It is not a missed base situation. It is not a failure to tag up situation. It is not an appeal play on a runner. Wha wha wha.

It is something else, such as BOO or illegal bat, such as a failure on the BR to reach 1st base safely. Therefore, by rule, the run does not count. Which one? I leave that to someone else. All I know is it is not 7.10d.
I hope you aren't in that much of a hurry to leave the thread. If you would be so inclined to participate further...

I am admittedly having trouble following your argument. I apologize if I am misstating it. You provided examples that show the defense can appeal infractions by the batter after three outs (BOO and illegal bat). You've shown that the rules provide that, for a game ending situation in which the home team takes the lead in their final at bat, the batter (and other forced runners their advance--Merkle) must touch first base. What I don't understand is WHY do you want the batter to continue to first base after three outs? Why do you find it appropriate to extrapolate the game ending criteria to three outs? Not that I want to discourage the defense from appealing after three outs an infraction that occurred prior to three outs, why do you want to encourage play, by the offense and defense, after three outs?

You didn't like 5.07?