Thread: ND vs Temple
View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Here's the deal: A/D is, essentially, written into the rules for fouls in the incidental contact rule. It is not written into the rules for violations. It is, however, considered on some violations, by practice. 3 seconds, as you note, is done this way. Palming is another one that is done that way, although not to the same degree, as is the 10 second FT violation.

I've said it before, but I generally look for one of two criteria before calling these violations. Advantage, or egregious.

No, it does not only apply to baiting and taunting. Baiting and taunting is only one of nine articles in 10-3-6 (Commit an unsporting foul....) And even if it did, you could consider this act (screaming in the face of an opponent) taunting or baiting. But the counting is easily included in 10-3-6a, "disrespectfully addressing an official." If the yelling isn't directed at the official, then it's certainly baiting or taunting the opponent.

Aside from that, using the "but not limited to" portion of the rule applies to unsporting technical fouls, not violations. Our point is that you are really stretching the violation rule to apply it to the Free Throw Lane hand jive.

If you're going to use that rule, you only have the option of a technical foul.

Go or stay, that's up to you. I had initially thought to step in for your defense before you made the crack about blowing through high school ball and being able to count on your partners to help you through your lack of rules knowledge. Until this thread, you had expressed a willingness to learn the rules, particularly the technical foul rules for which you displayed a lack of awareness.

Here, however, you inexplicably dug in your heels. When challenged by the actual rule, your response is to deny arrogance and accuse the guys who know the rule of having some sort of pi$$ing contest. If that's your intent, you won't be missed.
+1 - from beginning to end.

(And I agree with the earlier statement that "I'm everything that's right about the future of officiating" being just about the most arrogant thing I've read in months.)

West Houston Mike