View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 07, 2000, 07:09am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Warren Willson
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by Bfair
There will never be an advantage to the offense if the offense misses a base on a force play. Think about it!
The only potential advantage that could be gained would be on a timing play where a few precious moments gained in sliding around a base could allow a run to score.
Bfair,

You say there will "never be an advantage" and then you proceed to describe exactly how that advantage arises in this case? A tad confused, are we? (grin)..."

Warren, please note I referenced never an advantage gained on a FORCE play by missing base. Then I reference possible slight gain potential on a timing play.

Situation says "Runner beats throw to 2nd". Why is anyone wanting to penalize offense for beating throw whether on or off the base. No different than a touched base and then runner came off base. Liability is then on offense with advantage to defense to still be able to retire runner. That still means no advantage to offense. My guess is that if the JUDGMENT of whether runner beat throw is close, it will likely go against offense since he hasn't touched base. Again, no advantage to offense.

Please feel free to cite example of where offense can gain advantage by not touching a base they are FORCED to advance to. Situation described does not qualify as no advantage is gained due to missing base (after runner has beat throw).