View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 08, 2003, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Stupid Strategy (cont)

Agree with the comments on the foul to give at end of half - especially considering the bench strength. Also, with rainmaker's comment on McNamara not getting the ball. But forget the shooting - Hinrich had McNamara wrapped up so tight he was making bad decisions. Anthony was bringing the ball up because Collison was guarding him and couldn't stop him from dribbling up. They never once turned it over with Anthony bringing it up, while McNamara looked like he had totally lost it mentally.

The other one that threw me was the comment on KU trapping at the end of the game. Packer hated the move to trap, but it helped to swing momentum one last time. SU was slowing things down, was tiring, and really struggled to have a patient possession when the trapping started. The trap will either invite a quick shot or force a quick turnover. With SUs inexperience, the quick shot was a reasonalbe expectation, and KU got a couple of rebounds off some ill advised shots by SU. It put them in position to tie (along with the missed FTs - but that worked both ways!).

As for keen knowledge of rules, I loved the goaltending statement (if it when in - really?!), as well as the one about being on the rim when the ball was in the cylinder. The BI call that was made was made because Duany actually gave a second tap with the ball in the cylinder (I think Forth was the first to touch and he was legal). It was Duany's illegal tap of a ball in the cylinder that resulted in the BI call, not the hand on the rim (which was never on rim at same time as ball).

Oh well, at least we didn't have anybody travel while OOB last night