Thread: Travel much?
View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 09, 2012, 11:19am
Esteemed Forum Member

Intent And Purpose Of All The Rules Except Rule Nine ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
9.2.5 SITUATION A:Thrower A1 inadvertently steps onto the court inbounds. A1 immediately steps back into normal out-of-bounds throw-in position. The contact with the court was during a situation (a) with; or (b) without defensive pressure on the throw-in team. RULING: A violation in both (a) and (b). COMMENT: Whether or not there was defensive pressure or whether or not stepping on the court was inadvertent, it is a violation and no judgment is required in making the call.
I have never considered using the concept of advantage/disadvantage in this situation. Now tell me about your call when a free throw shooter holds the ball for eleven seconds before shooting the ball. Wait. You probably never got to eleven because you sounded your whistle when you got to ten, that's the rule, or in this case, the violation? Right? Can't consider advantage/disadvantage here? Right? Just blow the whistle when you get to ten seconds? Right?

I still concede that I do not have a NFHS citation that states that violations, specifically, fall under the advantage/disadvantage principle. However, I still challenge anyone to cite anything that states that only fouls, and nothing other than fouls, fall under the advantage/disadvantage principle, or that violations, specifically, do not fall under the advantage/disadvantage principle.

Next move?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Mar 09, 2012 at 11:26am.