View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucblue View Post
Ball hit to shortstop who is playing in, she boots it and ball hits runner, behind the shortstop and after she had made a play on ball. No other infielder was in a position to make a play on the ball. Field umpire called her out. I am a baseball umpire, and in this sit, we have nothing, play on. Is it different in softball? Fed rules.

By the way, after the game I visited with the plate umpire and asked for the interp. He said that in softball, whenever a runner is hit by a batted ball, she is out, but a softball umpire I work with said the rule is the same as baseball. Color me confused.
Speaking ASA

A runner who is struck with an untouched, fair batted ball is not out if that ball has passed a fielder, other than the pitcher and no other fielder has the opportunity to make an out. This would not be true if the runner, in the umpire's judgment, intentionally contacted the batted ball.