View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 11:17am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
You're exaggerating. This was an extremely close call and the responses here prove that to me. It's why I wanted to put it up for us to look at.

I respect the block call. I would've respected a PC call. It is really, really close.

Sometimes I think the "default to charge" mentality has taken the old "it's always a block" and swung completely the other way. I think a lot of officials at lower levels aren't looking at the plays and when there's a crash, just going the other way. Not at this level and I'm not talking about anyone here.

Rich:

With all do respect, I thought it was an easy call. Either the defender established a LGP or he didn't and I thought it was a no brainer, at least for me, that it was a charge.

It is my opinion that too many times a block is called on a bang-bang block/charge, when it really is a charge, and this is because the official either does not the rule, fails to officiate the defense, or (at the H.S. level) is afraid to call a charge because a block is the expected call by coaches in far too many areas.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio