View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 11:08am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Not me. Paints you into a corner, even though the announcement isn't absolute. It is different for every field. Some have trees or buildings to the SW, some are wide open.

And I can tell you from more than 40 years of experience umpiring and my real job, people hear and remember numbers better than any attached quantifier. You can soften it however you want, you are occasionally get an argument from someone who needs an extra inning to win.

Irish:

I don't believe it paints me into a corner. I have never had a complaint later in the game when I have said that it is too dark to play once sunset had arrived.

There is a reason that all of the states have the requirement that I alluded to in my original post, and that is that studies have shown that vehicles are difficult to see as sunset approaches. It really does not matter if the diamond is or is not surrounded by trees and buildings. If one is required to have the lights on his car on so that others can see his vehicle then that is a pretty good indicator that it is too dark to see other much smaller objects.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio