View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
Will you take player's ability into account when calling IFR? The rule says ordinary effort. Will you pass on enforcing the IFR because the players ability makes any catch of a infield fly more than ordinary effort?
Absolutely.

Quote:
I'm not disagreeing with you on the hit by pitch scenario by the way. At the younger ages I've been instructed that if they get hit by a pitch give them first base. I'm talking 10U here. At this age they are not looking to get hit by the pitch so they can get on base. Sometimes they get the dear in the head light look and don't know what to do.
Agreed.

Quote:
I'm just pointing out the fact that you are using a phrase not in the book to help you enforce the rules, just like some of us use "she's doing what she is supposed to do" to help us with interference. Can this phrase get an umpire in trouble? Sure, if not used properly. But so can using the players ability. If not used appropriately it can lead an umpire down the wrong path.

I'm sure I use a BUNCH of phrases that don't happen to be in the rulebook when describing a rule to someone. More often to a non-umpire in all likelihood. However, you've kind of hit the nail on the head with the reason why "she's just doing what she's supposed to do" is a bad catch-phrase. It's as often false as true - and more often than not (not by you, at least not that I've seen) used as a crutch by someone who doesn't know the rule. Sometimes his ruling is right, but he's got no idea WHY he's right (and, well, he's often wrong too). You just said the phrase can get an umpire in trouble. So why use it? (And, to note, it was incorrect when used in both this thread and the other one last week!).

I don't use the phrase "using the players ability" either - but in both rules where you've referenced it (probably more in IFF, actually, than the OP) it's true. I would NEVER use the phrase in explaining the ruling on the field or even here. Just as we shouldn't use the other one... a crutch that allows umpires to think they are ruling correctly when they aren't is a bad crutch and a bad habit.

West Houston Mike