View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 07, 2003, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

I posted this scenario on the Softball site. But if the same situation occurred in a FED baseball game what's your call?

Quote:
My wife was working a FP game and the following situation ocurred. What's your call?

2 outs, R1 (1st), R2 (2nd). Batter swings and misses 3rd strike, catcher drops the ball in front of her (behind the plate in foul territory). Batter heads for first and drops the bat down near the plate. The bat contacts the ball and knocks it well away toward the dugout. Nothing intentional - the batter was not even aware the ball had been contacted again. What would you do?
FED Softball has a specific reference in Rule 8-2-6 that says the batter-runner is out when she interferes with a dropped third strike. Runners return to base occupied at time of interference.

FED Baseball seems to make a distinction for "intent" of the act 8-4-1a. Casebook play 8.4.1i makes this same distinction for intent. Play on.

After some research the the correct response seems clear but would you have been ready?

Anyone had this play or other unusual stuff yet this year?