Thread: State Tourney
View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 04, 2012, 08:41pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Girls 3A, last 2 minutes, 20 point spread or so, substitutes are in. White team inbounds against pressure, pass sails out of bounds near the division line, touched by no one. Lead whistles, retrieves the ball, and rolls it back to the end line, and takes his position as the new trail. Official on the end lines inbounds............ to white again. Officials at the division line whistles, points emphatically, and declares black ball.

Boys 4A, start of the 4th quarter. Official whistles before the ball is put in play, and leads 10 over to the bench, pointing out blood on his jersey. After a brief conversation, the coach walks down the bench, points and gestures to 33. "Don't do it, kid," I thought. But I was the only one. Both players quickly stripped off their jerseys. 33 never got off the bench, and remained there wearing his undershirt. 10 wore no undershirt, and actually walked back across the middle of the court bare-chested as he straightened out the 33 jersey before putting it on, so it's not like there was any chance that all this went unnoticed.
My question was whether both of these entire crews were unaware of the applicable rule or chose to ignore it? (the second thing seems more likely to me)

Or do you yield to the guy responsible for/closest to the screwup?

The new (shoulda been) trail killed the play and declared "Black ball." I can certainly see stopping and having a discussion about this one.

But if my partner leads the kid with the bloody jersey to the bench and the removal takes place literally right under his nose, it is more difficult to imagine calling this from across the court.

Lonesome Dove

Last edited by just another ref; Sun Mar 04, 2012 at 11:22pm.