View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 03, 2012, 12:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Seatbelts Save Lives ...

I was involved in a head-on collision while on my way to a game about thirty years ago. Back then, Connecticut did not have a mandatory seat belt law, and I wasn't wearing one. Upon impact I went over, and to the right, of the steering wheel, and ended up smashing against the dashboard, with my head halfway through the windshield.

I was in the hospital a few days. After leaving the hospital I went to retrieve my personal belongings from my totaled car. The steering wheel was buried against the driver's seat. No air bags back then. If I had been wearing a seatbelt, my chest would have been crushed by the steering wheel, and I probably wouldn't have survived the crash.

That was a one in a million situation, one in which wearing a seatbelt would have resulted in a situation far worse than not wearing a seatbelt. I fully realize that I was very lucky that day, that the situation was a one in a million, and now I wear my seatbelt very time I get behind the wheel.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)