Thread: What a game!
View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 29, 2012, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

What a game!

First round boys Div. 1. Great game but all kinds of goofy stuff. Warmups-visiting team leaves the floor, home team starts a full court 3-man weave! The Court Marshalls: Nope, sorry guys. Gotta stay on your half. Introductions- one starter from each team is wearing a compression sleeve that is not a single color. The Fashion Police step in: Sorry guys, can't wear it. Jump ball- is tapped by home team toward my sideline. Home player is able to make a one hand save and throws ball back into the court where a visiting player catches it. I notice table sets arrow toward home team. Shortly after we have an opportunity so I get my partners together and we discuss and all agree arrow should be>visitors. Have it changed, explain to coaches, everything is good. Close first half. Third quarter we have a goaltending call and right before quarter is over the ball is deflected OOB. The home coach picks up the ball, looks at it: "Bill, this is a girls basketball!"
OMG he's right! We've played nearly 3 full quarters with a girls basketball and nobody noticed. (don't blame me I wasn't the R. I was U2 of course) Only a few seconds left so we finish and have the game administration get a boys ball for the 4th. Fourth quarter great game. We have a team control foul during a throw-in. 1st of the year for me. Table and coach want to know why we're not shooting FT's. Have to explain. Home team player makes one of the most spectacular dunks I have ever seen in HS and gets fouled. Great call by partner. Game ends in a tie. First OT home team down 3 with :04 to go, kid lets fly a 3 and gets fouled! Makes the first, misses the next 2 but a teammate gets the rebound and puts it in with :02 and we go to second OT. Players are now fouling out both ways and visitors end up winning. This one is going to be hard to top the rest of the way for me. By the way, the Chardon boys team was supposed to follow our game but requested and was granted the game be moved to Thursday night. When I arrived tonight the team was at the tournament site practicing in the auxillary gym since they cannot use their own facilities as yet. The assistant tournament director said it's going to be a zoo there for the game. Local and national TV are requesting passes to report on the game.