View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 06, 2000, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bfair
[B]Pete, there is something here I am not understanding.
If RUNNER BEAT THROW to 2nd but missed the base, would he not have been safe had he touched the base? Thereby, R3 would have scored anyway. No advantage is gained by offense by missing the base! In fact, offense is in liability of being put out again despite beating throw since runner missed the base.

BFair
OBR 7.01 A runner acquires the right to an unoccupied base when he TOUCHES IT (my emphasis) before he is out.

Same sitch - runners at corners 1 out B1 hits to F6 for the old fashioned 6-4-3 DP. R1 beats throw to second but does not touch bag. If I'm reading the threads on Eteamz properly (and God knows that is subject to debate altogether) We cannot call out r1 because he still is entitiled to correct his mistake.

What I'm saying is that why should the defense be penalized
if F4 touches the bag and throws to first to complete the DP, thereby nullifying the run. The offense committed an error and should be penalized as with other penalties such as Interference / Obstruction. If we say r1 beat the throw but did not touch the bag and action is not relaxed, F4 or F6 must now tag him to gain an Out thereby making this play a time play and r3 could score.

If this is correct IMO, the offense does gain a BIG advantage because r1 now has to be tagged making it a time play as opposed to a force play in which the run does not count.

Beating a throw is not in question here, Touching the base is. If all a player had to do was beat a throw the Game would be a lot different.

We can go on an on with this subject all day. I do not mean to be adament or straight out refuse to accept others opinions, but on this play I just do not see it.

The FED through their case book actually defines these types of playes. In OBR it is still "Grey".

Pete Booth