Thread: Flop
View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 24, 2012, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Why do you want me to site rules that support my point of view? Funny way to debate.

I agree with those. They, however, say nothing about what the defender is or is not allowed to do after they obtain a legal position. You seem to think they do but I see no words in them that restrict movement once the guard has obtained a legal position before the opponent is airborne....and if it is not specified as being illegal, it is legal.

And don't point to that case, you and everyone else knows what it is talking about and it is not what you're claiming.
C'mon Camron, now you're starting to get silly. I was directly responding to this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
No, you can't change the word like like...nowhere does it say they must get "a spot". The rules say they must get a spot "into the path"/"in the path", not to "A" single spot.
Since you won't quote the rules, or the specific case play, I wil (yet again):
4-23-4(b): "If the opponent with the ball is airborne, the guard must've obtained legal position before the opponent left the floor".
4-23-5(d): "If the opponent is airborne, the guard must've obtained legal position before the opponent left the floor".
10.6.1 Sit A: B1 takes a certain spot on the court before A1 jumps in the air to catch a pass: (a) A1 lands on B1; or (b) B1 moves to a new spot while A1 is airborne. A1 lands on one foot then charges into B1. RULING: In (a) and (b), the foul is on A1. (4-23-5d)

The case play you keep referencing as the most important in this discussion lists 4-19-1, 6; 6-7-4; and 10 Penalty 2, 5a as references. These involve airborne shooters, fouls on or by airborne shooters, and how many FT's are involved. Those are the issues that case play is addressing.

10.6.1 Sit A lists only 4-23-5(d) as the reference, which is the very rule we are discussing. That's why it's more important in the discussion. (b) specifically only mentions moving to a new spot, without specifiying "into the path", "remaining in the path", or any such language, and that, in spite of the movement, the foul is on A1 because A1 is no longer airborne.

FWIW, NCAA rules do not include the equivalent of 4-23-4 and 4-23-5, so there is no real distinction between guarding dribblers and airborne players, and a defender can legally move laterally or obliquely after LGP was established. This follows everyone's impression that it should also apply here. But since the rules are written differently, we cannot automatically assume the same principles apply.

Ok, now I'm done. Until something more concrete becomes available.

(Used with permission.)