View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 03, 2003, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB

Now some have insinuated that we would then degrade our partners for asking. Not true. What I would do is ask him after the game if he can see in retrospect if he could have had a better position on the play. I would want to get him thinking about improving his mechanics. Is that wrong?

2. What we have said, and what I have seen missing from some others is that we believe that umpires should be trained and encouraged to learn from their mistakes and correct their mechanics so that they don't need to ask in the future. Is that wrong?
Garth, what you are saying is that if an umpire has a poor angle that it is due to HIS actions. That is not the case. The two-man system sucks when in C position. There are too many possibilities for first play in the infield that a BU may have to handle that it's very possible that a poor throw to 1b (should the play go there) results in a poor angle on a pulled foot.

It is not an umpire weakness.
It is a problem inherent in the 2 man system.
It is an exception, not the rule, when help is needed.

You will never make me believe that you have never had doubt in your career on making such a call after starting in C position. Therefore, to say that you would not seek help on such a call is stating that you feel it more important to sell your ability to guess (based on the available clues, as someone said) rather than opting to a partner who has an excellent angle to aid in getting the call correct.

Freix