View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 06, 2000, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

As a member of our rating committee, I was observing a game in which the following happened. I believe the official was correct but I thought I'd run it by this group. After a goal by team A, a team B player slapped the ball after it came through the net, towards the end line where Team B was to make a throw-in, with enough force and angle to cause the ball to carom off the wall and then bounce away toward the sideline. The lead official immediately blew the whistle and issued a warning to Team B for delay of the game. The Team B coach then called time out and asked the official how can that be a warning for delay since it was his team's player that did the act? He went on to make the point that his team was, in effect, being punished twice for his player's actions. Once for the ball bouncing away preventing a quick throw-in and then the delay of game warning. He argued that only an opponent knocking the ball away warrants a warning. The official then responded that no place in the rule book does it state that the act has to be by an opponent of the team entitled to the throw-in. I believe this official was correct. NFHS 10-3-7 refers to a player without specification as to opponent or teammate. In the other sections related to warnings I found similar language. Just wanted to know what you think.