Thread: Shot clocks
View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 06:23pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Really Hate High School Shot Clocks ...

I observed two shot clock issues in a high school prep game this past weekend. Typical Connecticut two person game.

Less than a minute to go in the first half. Black is on offense. Shot clock is winding down. Black loses ball, and it rolls into the lane into a cluster of players from both teams. Shot clock operator, a high school age kid, resets the clock, believing that White had gained control. They hadn't. It was just a loose ball, that was eventually picked up by Black. Black player makes a shot a few seconds before the horn sounds to end the half. White coach complains that Black had more than thirty-five seconds to get off the shot. Maybe they did. Maybe they didn't. Both officials, one a top notch veteran, didn't realize that the shot clock had been reset. Neither official has any NCAA experience, and they see a shot clock only a few times each season at prep school games. I really hate high school shot clocks.

End of the second half. Tie game. Game clock has two seconds more than the shot clock. White ball. Nobody, players, coaches, officials, really notices the two second difference. Horn sounds, and everyone, except me as an observer, thinks that the second half is over, and we're going to overtime. It wasn't the game horn, it was the shot clock horn. Everyone, players coaches, officials, just stopped doing what they were doing, and two seconds later the game horn went off. White really had two more seconds to get of a last second shot to win the game. And then they started overtime. Oh, did I mention that I really hate high school shot clocks?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Feb 20, 2012 at 07:03pm.