View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 04:56pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Whitten View Post
Had the state final for boys Christian School over the weekend. The captain of Team A apparently sensed the need to provide commentary following the first couple of whistles that went against him. Probably should have stopped it after the initial incident, but it was low-key, not showing anyone up, and more like an everyday grumble than anything else. The second one was more audible and demonstrative than the first. I had the foul and went by him on the way to the table and told him I didn't want to hear any more. It worked and we had a good game after that. One of my partners who is a pretty decent mentor suggested that I should NOT have gone to the player, instead, after reporting the foul, gone to the coach and let him handle it. I defended my actions on the spot, but today I am thinking he may have had a better technique. I'd really like to hear how you guys prefer to handle this situation.
I have no problems addressing a player. We do it all the time: "out of the key", "don't carry" - dribbler with no pressure, etc. This one is no different.

I think 3x in my career has a coach said "don't address my player". My response is that we're instructed to be preventative where possible.