View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 06, 2000, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Re: Hanging you with too long a rope

Thanks Senior. My points on Eteamz ere not to contradict authoritative opinions such as J/R or fellow umps who know the rules like the "back of their hands" but to show (in baseball terms) what actually happens on these types of plays and how good coaches could manipulate the rules. After all most if not all of us actually played the game at one time or another.

The FED Spells it out for you but OBR doesn't.

My main point on Eteamz is as follows:

1. In reading the various threads on Eteamz, I found a new way for R1 to not only break up a DP for r3's run to count on a DP sitch involving runners at the corners.

R1 needs to beat the throw to second and only be in the "vicinity" of second without having to actually touch the base. "Vicinity" can mean many things to different people. IMO if coaches read these Boards, I believe a "light" just went off in their heads.

My other point is that even the rulemakers for FED probably felt the OBR rule was unclear and hashed out all the ramifications and came up with their case-book. The FED actually penalizes a team for missing a base whereas it is a "grey area" in OBR.

In any event, as you mentioned these are very rare plays indeed. Hey it's winter time and it makes for good discussion.

Pete Booth