View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 15, 2012, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpholt View Post
Two separate situations occurred at a game I was at last night and I was wondering whether their is a basis for the officials actions in the rules (I would hope so, but in an admittedly brief look-through of the rules this morning, I couldn't find any)....

I was sitting directly behind the scorers table and so heard the officials and coaches conversations clearly.

1. Prior to the game, the teams are warming up at their respective ends of the court. One team leaves the court to return to the locker room. The other team then runs several "laps" of full court warmups. Officials Actions: Warned the head coach that this was against the rules and that it needed to stop immediately or a technical foul would be assessed. Is this accurate?

2. Throw in situation along the baseline in a situation where the player is not allowed to run the baseline. Player A1 is given the ball by the official and makes a legal inbounds pass, but remains standing out of bounds for several seconds after the pass. When A1 finally moves to obtain inbounds status, the official calls a violation and possession is given to team B. Officials response to Head Coach of Team A was "He didn't make a move soon enough and just stood there". Is there anywhere in the rules that stipulates that the throw-in player must make an immediate effort to return inbounds or that there is a time limit?

Thanks for the help.

Tony
2011-2012 POE
Pregame Situations. Teams entering the gymnasium prior to the contest should not run through the area occupied by the opposing team or under the basket where opponents are warming up.
Teams should only enter, jog or warm-up on their own half of the court. Gatherings intended to motivate a team after the warm-up period, during or following player introductions and post-game celebrations should be performed in the area directly in front of the team bench. If during the pregame or half-time warm-up period one team leaves the floor, the other team should not use the entire court; teams should only warm-up on their half of the court.

10-3-2

Purposely and/or deceitfully delay returning after legally being out of bounds.

10.3.2 SITUATION A:

A1 has the ball out of bounds for a throw-in. A1 completes the throw-in to A2 and then purposefully delays his/her return by taking four or five steps along the end line prior to coming inbounds behind a screen set by A3 and A4. A1 gets a return pass from A2 and takes an unchallenged try for goal.

RULING: A1 is charged with a technical foul for purposefully delaying his/her return to the court following the throw-in. A1's movement out of bounds along the end line was to take advantage of the screen and return to the court in a more advantageous position.