Thread: Fan comment
View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 15, 2012, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post

But other than that, I've always just taken the "good job" comments as coaches and fans just being courteous and appreciating the fact that we are out there providing a service. Just like I take the negative comments during the game as stuff that happens in heat of the contest. I don't take any of it to heart.
I feel the same way for the most part. However, I don't feel that I've ever done what I would call a "good job." I always miss something and strive to ref the perfect game, as impossible as that is. I was at a Christian Mens' breakfast last week and some guy had brought his 17 year old son. The kid looks over at me and says I know you, you're the guy that refs, you're the most honest ref I've ever seen. I said thanks, (first time that's ever been said to me), it struck me later that he was kind of insinuating that the other guys on the court aren't honest, which is absolutely untrue as I know all of them personally. A couple days later I'm working a 10 year old kiddie game and see the same kid with a girl, his sister. The previous game I did with her last week, I cancelled the basket she made from the free throw line because she stepped on the line. (When I called that basket off, she turned to me and said, "but that's the first basket I've ever made!" I just sheepishly raised my arms and headed down the court. Guess that's being honest?? The only comments that I put any stock in is the ones I get from fellow refs: they are really the only ones qualified to judge my performance.