View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 05, 2000, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Hanging you with too long a rope

Pete, I was following the appeal play verbiage on eteamz, but I kept losing my place while reading the voluminous attempts to stress other points of view. There is nothing quite like a group of Umpires justifying their positions on topics of discussion. I, like you, would agree to most of the points, but I would be "from Missouri" on the actual situations described. If one of my players didn't know to go DIRECTLY TO A BASE on a force situation, and was caught gallivanting off in space, he'd better have an escape route planned after he was tagged. I could accept an attempt to AVOID A TAG as a reason to be off a base, but none of my players better ever be AVOIDING A BASE on a force situation.
I know you incurred the wrath of a few fellow Umps by stating your case, but I'd have to say I understood your thinking better than theirs. I'd have to see some of the wild plays used as examples, because I know what to call, and when, and don't usually encounter the Dave Winfield "ball hits Seagull in flight" plays they describe.

[Edited by senior on Dec 5th, 2000 at 07:07 PM]