View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 11, 2012, 04:40am
Official Forum Member

Did I answer this correctly?

Saw this on another board and I answered the question here trying to remember the proper Fed rules for a T of this sort and when it happens. Here is the situation as presented and my answer. he specificaly asked in the thread title High School BAsketball officals ?

[quote author=vikestwinswild1 link=topic=12279.msg381755#msg381755 date=1328914939]
If there are, I wanted to ask a question about something I saw last Monday Night. I was at a basketball game that night & the visiting team had to start the 2nd half with a technical foul because one of the players was not in the book when the game started. So the home team was awarded 2 free throws when the 2nd half began, they had posession as well because the arrow pointed their way. Was the arrow still supposed to change after the inbound or was it supposed to stay with the home team for the next posession tie-up? The guy who runs the book at the home games is also trying to find out what the rule is supposed to be.
[/quote]

The home team did not get possession to start the 2nd half because they had the arrow. In high school basketball the offended team gets pssession after a technical foul, unlike college where almost all T's go back to POI(Point of Interuption). Since the half began with technical free throws and then the inbounds to the offended team after a T, the arrow SHOULD NOT change and the home team would get the arrow on the first held ball(or jump ball) of the 2nd half. This is an administrative T that goes against the team foul count for the bonus in HS ball but is not charged to anyone on the bench.

Last edited by paulsonj72; Sat Feb 11, 2012 at 04:41am. Reason: added more info