View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
I was talking with my mentor (who also happens to be one of the local HS and college assigners) this AM and we were disucssing various topics related to my development. He told me that given where I am now as an official, and where I want to go, the best thing I could do was watch D1 girls basketball. He said those guys are young (relatviely), have good judgement, game managment, and are driven as almost all of them want to be major D1 men officials someday.

In your opinion, where can we find the best officaited basketball today?
To answer the thread question - the best officiated basketball is the NBA (possibly Olympic level FIBA as well - the training those guys have to go thru is amazing).

But to answer your real question - Either you misinterpreted what you mentor said or its time to find a new mentor. In no way shape or form are D1 womens officials aspiring to work D1 mens. First of all a lot of them are women. Secondly, with very very few exceptions do you cross over from womens to mens. You can go women's to men's, but let's be real, that's not considered a lateral move by most. That statement by your mentor just does not make sense.

To get to the crux of your question, what you need to concentrate on attaining (not the same as your end goal mind you) is the very next level from where you are at. I've heard it said just about every camp I've been to. If you are a JV official, you need to worry about becoming a varsity official. If you are a varsity official, you can think about becoming a D3, NAIA, Juco level referee. If you are working D3, NAIA, juco, then we can start thinking about getting DII assignments, and then finally if you are solid DII official, you can start thinking about DI. Guys like Teddy V are an enigma. Chances are you're not. And if you are, you're not here posting this question.

So having said that, find guys that are considered good at that next level, not necessarily to imitate them, but take what they do well, make it yours and fit it in your game.

Last edited by eyezen; Wed Feb 08, 2012 at 09:59pm.