View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 05:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindolbat View Post
I had an official that I respect very much, with many years of playoff experience, tell me after observing me that any foul called on a made basket is an unnecessary call. Went so far as to say "and 1" shouldn't ever be called unless the contact is very egregious. There were five other experienced officials in the locker room while he was talking to me and afterwards all were a little confused by these comments.
I'm all for letting skilled players play through some contact as long as there's no advantage, but don't the shooters deserve a little protection, especially on plays that aren't very saavy from the defenders. And does everyone really wait to see the result of a shot before they're calling fouls?
Thanks for your thoughts.
That official must think that a lot of D-I and NBA officials have no concept of what marginal/incidental contact is versus illegal contact.

As for waiting to see the result of the shot, I don't believe in doing that. I judge, at the time, whether the contact is illegal or not. If it is and we still have an and one, good for the offensive player.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.