View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 05, 2012, 07:35pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
For those from within the range of WGN, and old enough to appreciate it:
Nothing like the memory of sitting around on a hot day listening to Jack Brickhouse and Lloyd Pettit doing play-by-play of Ernie Banks, Don Kessinger, and Billy Williams, etc., with a cold Hamms beer quelling the temps of the good old Sumer-time. The Friendly Confines, indeed!
Ah, the day...
I think Jack Brickhouse's main partner on those radio broadcasts was Vince Lloyd, not Lloyd Pettit. Pettit filled in sometimes but mostly worked the play-by-play on Blackhawk games. This was back in the day when some pro athletes had to have part-time jobs in the off season to make money (have times changed or what?). Billy Williams worked one winter selling cars at Bauer Buick in Harvey, Illinois. I worked in their mailroom at the same time.

If you watch WGN television now in the Chicago area, or on cable, you are probably familiar with their chief meteorologist, Tom Skilling. 40+ years ago, Tom (who was in HS then) and I both worked at the same radio station in the Chicago suburb of Aurora. Believe it or not, he had a flattop then.