View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 05, 2012, 02:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's All Sing Like The Birdies Sing ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Handed out my first T of the season to a coach last night.
Me too. Boys game. Two suburban schools, archrivals, schools only a few miles apart. Gym was half filled for the freshman game, and I don't think that the Fire Marshall was present for the junior varsity, and varsity games.

I have pretty thick skin, and I try to use other forms of game management before I pull the "Whack" out of my tool box.

Home coach is commenting on just about every call, by both me and my very experienced partner. If we call block he comments charge. If we call a foul, he complains to let them play. If we pass on a call, he wants a foul. Carry. Travel. The whole nine yards. No swearing. No inciting the crowd. Doesn't make it personal. He just keeps chirping away, like the birdies sing. My partner is the first to warn him to quiet down.

Late the first half, I had a visitor player gain control of a ball while on the floor. He had both hands on it, while his coach requested, and was granted, a timeout. Home coach complains to me that the visitor player never had control of the ball. I will give a coach a little leeway when he complains about a call that I myself am questioning, but I really hate it, and I mean really hate it, when they complain about calls that I am 100% positive are correct.

Early in the second half, I have opposing players diving on the floor, going after a loose ball. There is some contact, equally advantageous, between them. Home player decides to make it a threesome, and dives onto the back of the visiting player already on the floor. I come up with a foul on the home player, the third player in. As I'm reporting the foul, home coach complains that his player was just going for a loose ball.

Whack.

Gave my first technical foul of the season to a player last Saturday, and now gave my first technical of the season to a coach yesterday.

And I still have three weeks to go.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)