Thread: Runs Scored
View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 04, 2012, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
I just had an extremely long conversation with a well respected baseball and softball rules interpreter and author.

Here's what I confirmed/learned.

Check your 2004 ASA rule book, if you still have one laying around. ASA changed their interpretation of the definition of a force as it pertained to an appeal play. Another person already quoted it as follows: "On an appeal play, the force out is determined when the appeal is made, not when the infraction occurred."

Prior to 2004, that was not ASA's rule/interpretation.
Well, not really. Prior to 2004 the same RS (POE, at that time) read, "If the batter-runner is put out, or is the first out of multiple outs on the same play, this would eliminate all force outs".

So, actually, if the BR was retired prior to the appeal, there is not force out to be had In 2004, they ADDED "On an appeal play, the force out is determined when the appeal is made, not when the infraction occurred". This wording basically expanded the interpretation to include any situation where the forced has been relieved prior to the appeal.

And, to me, it makes sense. During a live ball, the force is always relieved anytime a trailing runner is retired. Why wouldn't it be the same on a dead ball appeal?