View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
This is an interesting thought. I guess IMO there is a difference between when control begins, and when it can be first ascertained. For example...

A loose ball that A1 dives for, puts two hands on it, and as he’s sliding he calls time out. I'm reluctant to grant the request until he stops sliding, and I can determine that he's maintained control throughout. Just because he has two hands on the ball doesn't mean he has control of it. That said once the time out has been granted where did he gain control, when he first put two hands on it, halfway through, not until the end?
There's nothing magical about sliding and ending the slide. If he has both hands on it and the ball isn't rolling, then he is holding the ball.

Quote:
In my judgment, based on the entire sequence of events leading up to and after initial contact with ball (in reality only a second) the player established control with the first dribble and maintained it the entire time, thus player control began with the first touch.
In your OP, A1 had player control and team A had team control when A1 had the ball in the BC.

The ball gained FC status.

A2 bats the ball and it gains BC status.

If you deemed the bat a dribble, it's a BC violation.

If you judged the first touch was not a dribble (no player control), then it's a BC violation if A2 next touches the ball again.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith