View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 05, 2000, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

FED CASE PLAY - 8.2.1a Comment: The penalty for baserunning infractions has been expanded to allow the defense, during a live ball, to retire a runner who misses abase by touching the base the runner missed, including home plate. However, if the runner who misses a base attempts to return before the defense initiates appeal action, the defense must tag the runner unless the play is a force when only the base need be tagged. On a force situation, the defense need only touch the base. Should a runner miss a base or leave the base too soon on a caught fly ball and the defense not see the infraction, the umpire will declare the runner out at the end of playing action. The defense does not have to tell the umpire that it is attempting to put a runner out for a baserunning violation. Even if the defense touches the missed base by accident, the runner would still be declared out. The call would be made immediately.

Thanks Hayes - I am at work and do not have my materials with me but one can see the FED actually SPELLS IT OUT FOR YOU as opposed to OBR. I personally like the FED appeal process as opposed to OBR as it is more clearly defined.

Pete Booth