View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 28, 2003, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BayStateRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
A bat is not a violation. The violation occurs when the ball touches OOB.
That's what I told my friend. He says that "causing the ball to go out of bounds" is a violation. That's why it is listed in the "Violations and Penalties" section. The "baseline right" rule refers simply to "a violation" and he made a convincing case that hitting the inbounds pass so that it goes directly out of bounds is a violation. I made all the arguments you are making, but he stuck by the simple language of the rule. If "causing the ball to go out of bounds" is not a violation, then how else does one interpret Rule 9-3?
Here's the flaw in your friends argument.

The violation must happen BEFORE the throw-in ends for the throw-in team to keep the privilege of running the baseline. Once the ball is legally touched by any player, the throw-in the over. When B1 touches the ball legally, the throw-in is over. The ball goes OOB well after the throw-in has ended.

JRut makes a good point, also. To keep the option to run the baseline, the succeeding throw-in must be on the baseline. If the closest spot is on the side line, it's a mute point.

Blakchawk