View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 27, 2012, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Here is the actual memo that was sent out to men's coordinators on all three levels.

Good afternoon coordinators:
Please consider this a heads up and a request for your support and cooperation. There has been a noticeable reluctance on the part of officials in games I have watched on TV, attended in person and in the games observed by the Regional Advisors to apply the proper penalties for violations of Rule No. 10, Section 5, Class A Unsporting Technical Infractions, especially Art.1 and Article 2.
I am going to address the officiating community on the NCAA Officiating web site and remind them that they are expected to enforce these rules, "as written". I am going to ask them to be more vigilant in heading off unsportsmanlike actions amongst players during the game before they turn into ugly, very public clips on Sportscenter. I am also going to ask them to re-read 10-5-2 and not tolerate what appears to be an epidemic of boorish sideline behavior by coaches. I will copy Reggie Minton at the NABC and ask him to pass my memo along to the coaches.
It is our duty, as guardians of the game to protect the integrity and value of men's college basketball. Recent "specials" on ESPN and CBS Sports about the growing number of incidents involving unsporting actions by some players and deplorable sideline behavior by some coaches, should serve as a call to action for all of us.
Thanks in advance for your support of the officials who manage and enforce these rules dealing with sportsmanship, "as written."

John Adams
NCAA National Coordinator

Rule 10 Sec. 5 Art. 1 Unsporting Acts by Players
Rule 10 Sec. 5 Art. 2 Unsporting Acts by Bench Personnel