Thread: I just saw this
View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 27, 2012, 04:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
But it's a question of who did the touching, I think. If the defender reaches out and touches the thrower, intentional foul. It is specified in the case play, that the thrower lost his balance and leaned over to touch the defender. Basically, the touch kept him from accidentally touching the floor, which is also a violation. (9.2.5A)

So, if this touch, for the purpose of this rule, gives the thrower "inbounds status"
I don't see why the thrower contacting a teammate, with the ball, or directly, would not be a violation as well.
Then call it that way. I'm not going to apply the case to that play because it goes against the written rule and does not specifically apply to the play in the OP. The principals of 4-35 and 7-1-1 should apply here, and as far as I'm concerned, they do except for the case where the player tries to maintain his balance by touching an opponent.

My guess is the wording of the case play has been in place since before they changed 7-1-1 to not include touching a person; but that's only a guess. They need to update this case play in light of recent rule changes.