Thread: Infield(er) Fly
View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 28, 2003, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
[B]

I don't agree that "The distance from 2B is irrelevent". My saying 30 feet was to emphasize obvious proximity to the infield, not a specific distance. The difference between an "infield(er) fly" and any other fly ball is being near the bases. That is why an outfield fly or a foul ball presumably does not require protecting the runners from being forced out if it's uncaught. Yes, 30, 40 or 50 feet might not matter, but the rule is about removing the force to prevent giving the defense a chance to give up the catch in exchange for a double or triple play
Of course, it is irrelevent. For as much as you told us, the player could have been set up inside the diamond a the TOP and this could have very much been a great, over-achieving play for this girl. Or for that matter, the player could have been set up 28' and the play could have consisted of a simple turn and grab. Remember, I'm only working with the information offered and the player's position in relation to the infield at the time of the play means nothing. The rule is based on THAT player's ability to make the play with ordinary effort. And the player must have been stationed in a position which would normally cover the infield area at the start of the pitch.

Quote:

Also, I was talking about softball, not slow-pitch which is more likely to require "discretionary outs".

Well, you just as well open the window and jump out. See if you can catch your credibility on the way down.

I certainly hope you are not one of these umpires who believe slowpitch SOFTBALL is just a lazy, beer-bellied man's game. The English game from which BASEBALL was developed (sorry, it wasn't Abner's game), ROUNDERS, resembled slowpitch SOFTBALL more than any other game which includes a bat, ball and four stations.

I started umpiring baseball at the age of 14. After 20 years or so, I got so bored with the game, I moved over to SOFTBALL. Now, one would think that a baseball guy would prefer the fastpitch game of SOFTBALL. I gave it a shot and found it to be more boring than baseball, so I stayed with the slowpitch discipline of SOFTBALL. Why, you ask? Because that is where the action is! There is absolutely no disputing that there is more action in the SP discipline of SOFTBALL than FP. On any given pitch, the ball can be put into play and usually to any part of the field and guess what? The players actually make athletic moves in making the play or run the bases.

BTW, WTF is a "discretionary" call? Are you referring to a FYC? I have no idea what you are talking about because in my games, if the player is out, they're called out. If not, they are called safe. Those are the only options.

Give me a break!

[Edited by IRISHMAFIA on Mar 28th, 2003 at 06:41 AM]