View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 22, 2012, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Best Game of my Season

perhaps the best game I've ever officiated.

Boys JV Game. Two Rival Schools, game is tight the whole way, largest lead either way was about 5. The game wasn't overly athletic but it was extremely competitive.

34 seconds left in the game and the teams are tied. I'm the L and the ball goes OOB on my line but farthest corner away. I can see who hits it out, but head coach for A is screaming for a pushing foul. His player had caused the ball OOB. I look at my partner ask if he was okay with my OOB call and he is.

I tell the coach his player hit it out and neither I nor my partner have a pushing foul, I'm doing this as I'm holding up the "stop sign". He gives me the old wave off maneuver and continues with a few choice words. I've had enough. Coach has earned his T.

We administer the T and the Head Varsity Coach, who is sitting at the end of the bench starts to talk about how I just blew the game. The head Varsity coach continues by yelling that I graduated from Team B and that I was bias. He was doing this in a manner that was inciting the crowd.

I asked for game management and had him removed from the premises. I didn't charge a technical even though he was sitting on the end of the bench and then stood up and was walking behind the benches. As he's leaving, he tells me, "I'll wait outside for you."

Team A does battle back and gets a couple of turnovers. With about 5 seconds and the clock running, Team A scores and just cause they're JV I guess, Team B throws an inbound pass that hits the back of the backboard. I blow my whistle with .9 seconds left. Team A calls a timeout.

I'm the L, they come out with a nice little play and get a three point look from the near corner. I signal the three, ball is clearly away, buzzer goes off, crowd goes silent. Swish. Eruption. Players going banana's, I start watching players to make sure nobody gets stupid on me (I was pretty proud of myself for actually keeping my eyes on the players here).

We head to OT.

My partner in the OT has a player control foul on a ball handler about the 28 foot line. The coach for team B goes ape nuts, he stands up, throws his hands and my partner gives him his second T. So now he's ejected. He tries to have a huddle with his players and my partner is trying to break it up. I tell my partner, to go administer and I will take care of it.

Coach starts to exit the facility, and the rest of the game finishes without too much incident. In the game I probably had 8 charge calls, two player control calls, 2 team control fouls. The teams didn't or couldn't make the adjustment to stop running the defenders over.

Sorry for the long story, but it's a Sunday, so I thought I would give anyone that is willing to read all that a good story. I can't wait for the next competitive match up. And for anyone wondering, I actually graduated from the other school that is the rival of both of these schools. Not that this information matters at all, but coach didn't even have his facts right. And he was not waiting outside after the game.