Thread: Getting paid
View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 20, 2012, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
We are paid by each school district (or by the schools for private schools).

Some districts, including the big H, are notoriously slow at cutting checks others have a quick turnaround but the average for me seems to be 30-45 days. The nice part is that since we're paid by the district, we could have several assignments on one check.

Then there is the issue of schools losing our paperwork (or a PO'd coach holding it until the very last day). It took me over a year and several phone calls to get paid for three assignments from one district.

For six man football games I work, some schools pay in cash or check on site. Those are nice but I feel a little funny when we get handed plain envelopes full of money.
Which, of course, goes to the reason why we shouldn't start any game without having first received payment for the match. Coaches should not have a lever to plant the question of "Will I get paid if I make this call" into the minds of the officials.

In the auditing world, an independent audit cannot be done by a CPA firm that you are not current with because it compromises their independence. It's no different in sports.

The youth soccer league here in NW Ohio has a firm rule: any match where the referee crew is not paid in full in cash before the match is to be declared no contest and shall not be played.