Thread: Infield(er) Fly
View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 27, 2003, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Of course, I'll concede that skill level makes a difference, but as in IM's fine example it affects the "ordinary effort" factor, not whether it is infield(er) or not. But I think it has to be rather obvious that no one can make the play or not make the play and then double up the runner(s). My example above was HS Varsity. Ordinary effort at that level includes more than it does for 12&U.

I don't agree that "The distance from 2B is irrelevent". My saying 30 feet was to emphasize obvious proximity to the infield, not a specific distance. The difference between an "infield(er) fly" and any other fly ball is being near the bases. That is why an outfield fly or a foul ball presumably does not require protecting the runners from being forced out if it's uncaught. Yes, 30, 40 or 50 feet might not matter, but the rule is about removing the force to prevent giving the defense a chance to give up the catch in exchange for a double or triple play.

The "He's got to be willing to learn" point is very relevant this time, because that is the problem I'm trying to solve.

Also, I was talking about softball, not slow-pitch which is more likely to require "discretionary outs".

BTW, this is roughly the 50th anniversary of this rule (give or take a couple years), so it's time to get it right, in spite of KyB' so-called partners.