View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 18, 2012, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
I hear you, but my thought process is, he's a kid and needs coaching about this situation. So, if the coach steps up and says I will take responsibility and handle this, okay coach thanks, technical. If the coach doesn't then the player still is going to sit next to that coach and the coach will know he had opportunity and didn't take advantage.

It's not necessarily a black/white open/closed case. Someone may view this play and say flagrant right away, some might say technical, some might say nothing. But I'm going at least technical and possibly flagrant. I'm going to leave myself an out if the coach is cooperative. That could also build repoir for future games.
I don't think anyone is debating whether it's a technical foul...and most won't debate if an official decided to DQ the player for the act...especially if the proximity of the official and the hard throw were close.

IMO, if you're about the kid getting coaching about the situation, he can get coaching in either scenario. If a player commits a flagrant act, I'm not going to allow his coach to in essence "buy" his player out of a DQ. For all we know, the coach could say he'd "take care of it," have a little talk with the player, and send the player right back out five minutes again. You're not going to retroactively assess a flagrant T at this point are you?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.