View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 26, 2003, 08:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Talking I agree, but there is always a but.

Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone

I have worked with many officials that have years of experience on the field and STILL don't have a clue what the rules say.

This is very true, but this is not because they did not pass a test, this is because umpires do not spend the time with other umpires discussing plays, actually reading the casebook and rulebook when you do not have a test, and not reading sources of information that talk about umpiring or officiating in general.

I tend to learn actual rules from other officials. Because when you discuss situations that happen to other umpires, you can learn things that you have never experienced. Reading the rulebook can sometimes be confusing if you cannot visualize the plays that take place. This is why the casebook is so wonderful, but when you hear real life plays and situations, it gives you a better understanding of what to do when it actually happens. I learned more going to my association's meetings and discussing situation then just reading the rulebook blindly. Because when we discuss those plays, you go to the rulebook and might find more situation and more questions. You never stop learning and understanding the rules. Hell, every year they add rules and circumstances that you need to understand every year. Look at the Appeal rule for NF, I was blessed to not have a single situation that an appeal was needed. I learned more about the rule by talking to umpires that had.

Peace