View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 14, 2012, 11:49am
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle2 View Post
It seems like you are one of the players in the game at that point in time, adrenaline is up, each call is really a big deal and the winner may not be known until the final seconds! Some of my friends ask me why I ref and I try to tell them how it can be exciting trying to keep track of all that is going on, and its like a never ending hunt where you're trying to keep ahead of the action. But until you've experienced a game like you just described, there's no way that I know of to describe it.
That's exactly it. Communication with everyone (players, coaches, partner) becomes so much more important in a game like that, and I thought my partner and I did a great job at communicating what we needed to to everyone involved.

It helped that my partner was excellent, I'd worked with him a couple times before and I know I'm working with him again. Nothing more than the usual from the coaches, and I had a sore throat at the end of the night because I had to yell to be heard over the crowd.

Wish I had a louder whistle, though...is it the dolphin that some guys use in loud environments?