View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 10, 2012, 08:22pm
Administrator

Email to Henry Zaborniak, Jr., NFHS Basketball Rules Committee Chairman

On Nov. 16/Wed.(01:34pmEST), 2011, I sent the following email to Hank:

H. Zaborniak/OhioHSAA: Incorrect Ruling in the 2011-12 NFHS Basketball Casebook.‏

Sent: Wed 11/16/11 1:34 PM

To: Henry Zaborniak, Jr. ([email protected])

Bcc: Daryl H. Long ([email protected])

Nov. 16/Wed.(01:34pmEST), 2011

Hank:

I was reading the Casebook this morning and came across an error in the Casebook. The error is in the Ruling for Play 2.10.1 SITUATION E.

The Play reads: "A1 has been given the ball for a throw-in when A2 commits a foul against B2. B1 is awarded the ball for a throw-in and commits a throw-in violation by touching a foot inbounds before releasing the throw-in pass. The ball is at A1's disposal for the subsequent throw-in when the officials are informed that A2's foul was Team A's seventh team foul."

The RULING reads: "The clock had not started and the error is discovered within the correctable error timeframe. B2 is awarded the bonus with no players along the lane lines. The point of interruption is the throw-in for Team A. (R2-S10-A1a; R2-S1-A6)"

SITUATION 2.10.1 E is no longer a Correctable Error because of the change in the definition of Team Control. The Common Foul by A2 was a Team Control Foul and the penalty for a TCF is a throw-in nearest the spot of the foul which is what happened. B1's throw-in violation occured during the throw-in which was the penalty for A2's CF against B2.

Mark DeNucci, Sr.

I am still awaiting a response from Hank.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Wed Jan 11, 2012 at 12:27pm. Reason: Highlighted body of email.