View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 07, 2012, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

I was well aware of that. It was still not handled well. I have used this video in clinics to illustrate how to handle things not defined in the book. Make the call.

PBUC issued its new guidelines on July 3, 2008. It reads:

The pitcher must visually indicate to the umpire, batter and runner(s) which way he will begin pitching to the batter. Engaging the rubber with the glove on a particular hand is considered a definitive commitment to with which arm he will throw. The batter will then choose which side of the plate he will bat from.

The pitcher is not permitted to pitch with the other hand until the batter is retired, the batter becomes a runner, the inning ends, the batter is substituted for by a pinch-hitter or the pitcher incurs an injury.

Any switch (by either the pitcher or the batter) must be clearly indicated to the umpire.

There will be no warm-up pitches during the change of arms.

If an injury occurs the pitcher may change arms but not use that arm again during the remainder of the game.

I may be in the minority but I would have liked to see that batter have to commit to a side rather than the pitcher. They defensive team responds to the actions of the offense, after all.