View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 03, 2012, 10:22am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Rival: A competitor (person, team, company, etc.) who is well known to another and has similar skills and achievements. Defeating a rival may be a primary or necessary goal of a competitor.

There have not been similar skill sets & achievements between the two schools.
Seriously? Do you really think people look up this definition before saying a school is their rival? Seriously?

You know, there is nothing wrong with taking things literally, but sometimes people say things that have an underlying message. I don't think you got it when asked about the true sense of the word; I didn't take that as a call for a definition of rival. Even if I did, after reading the definition I would not post the definition after realizing rivals are made up of more than this definition. For instance, schools that are close - with kids that grew up together attending each - may be considered rivals. Thinking that one must compare trophy cases before considering schools rivals is just...

Last edited by tomegun; Tue Jan 03, 2012 at 10:32am.