View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 31, 2011, 05:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Just What Is Play By Play ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
That's not the role of the PA announcer.
I don't think so either. We agree. But without guidelines from a state interscholastic sports governing body, how can we back up our decision to prohibit this type of (not unsporting) announcing?

Foul shots? OK. Field goals? OK. Assists? OK. Personal fouls? OK. Team fouls? OK. One minute warning? OK. Personal point totals, and fouls at halftime? OK. Most of us that have been around the block a few times can agree on that, I'm sure.

Now let's have some fun. Steals? Rebounds? Blocked shots? Nice screens? "Assist" before an assist? Scores from other conference, or league, games going on at the same time? Do you see where this is going? Who says what can, or can't, be announced?

If you want to leave it up to me, as the referee, in that game, that night, fine. I'll do my best. But what's to keep this from becoming one of those issues like the "Fashion Police"? "The official the other night let her play with that on."
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)