View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 28, 2011, 11:05am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
Well, it seems like Tio is trying to be the crew chief of this thread. Honestly, all of that crew chief talk lost me. I think once you are used to being the R or crew chief you can have a pregame and game without letting everyone know you are the R. Your posts seem kind of heavy-handed with the crew chief responsibility.
Really. I know it's a trite camp saying, but everyone should have an R's mentality. The ability to take charge and handle situations. My regular partner does that quite well as (I think) do I - I can't imagine having to clean up one of his situations and vice versa. I do work with others who are not this strong and I'm, essentially, the R regardless of who checked the books and tossed the opening jump.

In football, the crew chief (the R) does have the final say on a play where two officials disagree and won't yield their calls, but it's a "power" I'm loathe to use and for good reason. It does little for crew harmony when I'm heavy handed and I learned this the hard way. Everyone know I'm the crew chief there (since I'm the only one wearing a white hat) and I spend most of my time trying to convince everyone that I'm just working one of the 5 positions and have my own responsibilities.